Who am I without Ed (aka “eating disorder”)?
Will my body always be a battleground?
How can I find long-term balance with food and exercise in an eating disordered culture?
Will I ever be able to let go of all of Ed?
Will I ever be happy?
The new Life Without Ed® weekend workshop will dive into all of this and more. Developed in collaboration with Jenni Schaefer, Senior Fellow of The Meadows, and author of the breakthrough bestseller, Life Without Ed, this workshop brings the book to life and, more importantly, helps you to move beyond problems with eating and body image and to jump into your own life.
Co-facilitated by Jenni herself and Rio Retreat therapist, Shaul Austin, M. Ed, LPC, CSAT, this weekend will provide wisdom and practical tools to transform that oh so complicated relationship with food and body. Maybe you have already done a lot of hard work in eating disorder treatment, are no longer engaging in destructive behaviors, and find yourself asking, now, what?! Or, maybe you have struggled with emotional eating for years—numbing your feelings with food and disliking your body—and never had the real chance to focus on healing.
Life Without Ed® is the chance to get the help that’s been missing and that you deserve. Additional topics to be explored include:
- Body acceptance—and even love—in a world that doesn’t accept our bodies
- Repurposing underlying traits like anxiety and perfectionism toward life goals
- What to do if you can’t fully let go of disordered eating
- What to do if, when you do let go of Ed, other self-defeating behaviors emerge, including alcohol and substance abuse
- Relationships and intimacy: building a village and creating boundaries
- Feelings and the fear of feelings, like guilt, shame, sorrow, and anger
- Navigating major triggers (e.g., your exercise-obsessed best friend, your doctor-prescribed diet for medical reasons)
- Making it though big life events without Ed’s help (e.g., college, marriage, divorce, babies, job loss, menopause)
- Grieving the loss of Ed
- Trauma, posttraumatic growth, and resilience after an eating disorder
- Sharing your story and supporting others
We will get creative with art, music, mindfulness, and movement. Get ready for some yoga and tai chi and a conversation about intuitive exercise, which sometimes means just taking a nap! We will help you to develop what Jenni has learned to call “leisure skills” (how to relax and have fun) and even the art of doing nothing.
The Life Without Ed® workshop is for women and men (ages 18 or older) who have struggled with disordered eating and all types of eating disorders, Basically, if you know Ed, have filed for divorce from “him,” and are working on finalizing those papers, this workshop is for you. Think of this retreat as a recovery—and life—boost.
We ask that participants be at least 90 days free from engaging in self-destructive behaviors like episodes of bingeing, purging, restricting, and self-harm.
The Life Without Ed® workshop meets from 1 pm on Friday to Sunday at 4:30 PM.
For more information and to register, click here.
Click the image below to view and download the workshop flier.
|October 26, 2018|
|October 27, 2018|
|October 28, 2018|